Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Stair Slide

 

"Daddy, I need your help."

With what?

"I need help getting the mattress off my bed."

That's interesting, what are you doing?

"I'm making a slide."

Sounds like I better go see what's going on upstairs.

David and I had been enjoying some quiet time on Saturday afternoon, vaguely aware of the thumps and laughter from upstairs. When David turned the corner to go upstairs, the stairs were blocked by a mattress the boys had pulled from the extra bedroom and gotten to the bottom of the stairs. Now it was a slide and apparently the slide needed to be longer because the boys were working up a sweat trying to get the mattresses from their bunk beds.

The boys asked if we wanted to see the slide, and we expected a slide, you know, you sit at the top and slide down. The boys ran up the stairs, then ran back down the stairs, getting airborne a few steps above the mattress. When they hit the angled mattress, sometimes they slid down like a slide but just as often it bounced them like a ball right into the front door and onto the tile floor at the foot of the stairs. Being concerned parents, we immediately padded the tile floor with couch pillows. We weren't going to add mattresses to the slide, but after all their work, could we really have stopped this?

 

 

 

When it came time to put the mattress away that evening, William was upset because, "Aaron got to ride the mattress down the stairs and I didn't!" I guess before it was a slide, it was a sled.

2 comments:

LaurieJo said...

I do believe this is my favorite story of their creativity to date. I am sure that it will be outdone in no time. I look forward to hearing about it, and maybe even witnessing it myself!

Carrie Jean said...

I love it. I can't believe you didn't join in. I will come for a visit if I get to enjoy the slide!
Do you know who got your picture?