Imagine our internal dismay when our children came home from our neighbors house with Jayhawk jerseys under their coats! Our neighbor, Big Aaron, called a few days ago and said "Hey, we've got presents for the boys, send them over." The boys gladly marched over, eager for any time spent with Big Aaron and Jenny.
Now, we have tiptoed around the Jayhawk/Tiger rivalry in our house since the boys have increased awareness of sportsmanship. Whenever they play any type of ball game, one team is the Jayhawks, the other the Tigers, and of course the Tigers always win. That's the extent of our communication to them about the Jayhawks. Since the boys have a special affection for Jenny (a KU grad), they have come to their own conclusions (with help from Jenny, I'm sure) that the Jayhawks are indeed a worthwhile team, even letting the Jayhawks win occasionally in their backyard games. Some Tiger parents would disagree with our stance on this, letting our children have any feelings other than distaste for the Jayhawks, teaching their own children to call them the "Bad Birdies" and to hurl insults and punches at any other children who would dare to harbor an fondness for KU. But, this seems to be the first of many times that we will allow our children to form their own opinions, however vastly different they be from our own.
The boys were thrilled with the jerseys, of course, glad to wear any type of sport shirt, with increased value because they were a gift from our beloved neighbors. They wore the jerseys for two days straight. On the second day I needed to run some errands at the mall and asked the boys to get ready to go. They asked with much concern "Can we wear these Jayhawk shirts to the mall?" I evenly answered, "Yes, of course, you get to choose what you wear" all the while praying desperately that this would not be the day we run into Coach Pinkel, or Chase, or Maclin, or anyone else I know for that matter! Aaron shuffled around and finally said, "I'd like to change my shirt" to which my relieved response was "Like I said, you choose what you wear." William hadn't said anything, but still wasn't putting on his coat despite my repeated requests. Finally he says "I'm too shy to wear the Jayhawks to the mall". Yes! They do have a sense of loyalty, and what a great trait to have! (along with a sense of fairness and equality, of course)
So, thanks, dear neighbors, for providing this important character building moment for our boys!
Seriously, Aaron and Jenny, thanks for loving our boys, for exposing them safely to the world beyond Mizzou, for being such dear friends to us. We are blessed to call you neighbor. And, you can take pride when you see the boys running around all next summer in their Jayhawk jerseys (unless they are accidently ruined in the laundry... turned black and gold in some sort of freak coloring accident... unfortunate things do happen).
5 comments:
I try to hold myself back, but the other day when Sophia asked what Tigers eat, I couldn't help but respond "Jayhawks."
Not Jenny, just Jayhawks.
Thanks for the wonderful shout-out on your blog! I figured I would introduce the Jayhawks to the boys early on while they still have curious and open minds and to hopefully someday end the hate that MU fans seem to have with KU. It will be a hope for a new generation! :) The boys were so funny when they saw their shirts. William seemed to like it right off the bat but Aaron took a little bit more convincing. He was very polite about it and said, "I really like the basketball though." I told him that it was okay for the Jayhawks to be his second favorite team as I knew that that he just wouldn’t accept them as his number 1. When William put his jersey on Aaron finally let his guard down and decided he wanted his on too. It looks like “Operation Infiltration” was a success! If you’re not careful you guys might have to buy one of those “House Divided” flags with a Tiger on one side and a Jayhawk on the other. We will definitely look forward to the stares that you get when they’re out front playing basketball.
Despite out difference in College teams we feel so lucky to have the VanDyke/Creach families as neighbors and friends. What would we do without you?? We would have one small band that’s for sure.
What fun post. Very funny.
Go Raiders!
Yes, maybe one day the hate will end and love will rule and the Tigers will always win the Border Showdown and B-12 Championship.
I doubt we will ever have a "house divided" flag. After all, it is OUR house (the boys are just living with us for a while), and we do have our limits...
Thanks for the comments!
My approach is about building love, not stoking hatred. I model love for the Tigers and they follow whole-heartedly so I have no worries. Aaron and William talk with true reverence of Chase Daniel, Chase Coffman and Jimmy Jackson. Aaron is quite upset that Chase Daniel has to graduate. He has only vague memories now of Brad Smith but at age 3 it took weeks for Aaron to come to grips with the fact that Brad Smith was no longer the Tiger quarterback.
The only concern I have is that to this stage the boys have believed that the Tigers have won every game they have ever played. Problem? Aaron has figured out how to read the scoreboard. Aaron figured it out while at a women's basketball game that the Tigers lost. The loss bothered him so much that he was still talking about it the next day. Aaron concluded: "Daddy, I know why the Tigers lost yesterday. It's because they win all the time and they decided to let someone else win this time." I said, "You're right, Aaron, wasn't that nice of the Tigers?"
Post a Comment