I'm still catching up with November happenings... Aaron turned six earlier this month and here are a few pics of what we did to celebrate. On the day before his birthday he had the day off school so we planned a day at the St. Louis Zoo with some friends. Due to car trouble, it took us almost 5 hours to reach the zoo (usually takes under 2 hours), but the boys made the best of it sitting in the van all that time and were happy anyway.
We reached the zoo with only a few hours before closing time and rushed around to see some of our favorite sights. We did manage to sight the ever elusive ape, which was a treat. We also saw the baby tigers for about 2 minutes before the zoo keepers put them away. We missed some of the other things, but utterly exhausted ourselves with fun running around the zoo. It was a warm day, and we had fun together celebrating Aaron for the day.
On the day of his actual birthday Aaron and I both woke up early in the morning throwing up, no fun!! Amazingly, he actually didn't seem to mind spending the day at home and postponing his little pool party until the next week.
Have you ever heard of Flat Stanley? It's a children's story about a young boy who bacame as flat as a piece of paper after a bulletin board fell on him. Because he is so flat, he can travel many different places with great ease. Aaron's school does the "Adventures of Flat Stanley" every Wednesday during school assembly. Flat Stanely goes somewhere every week, then a picture presentation is given to outline his adventure. We were glad to have Flat Stanley join us for Aaron's party.
At school last week, Aaron stood in front of the entire school (350 kids + teachers) with his vice-principle and gave the presentation of Flat Stanley with pictures from his party. I could tell that he was so proud and happy to be able to share with the school, and he didn't seem nervous at all.
His friend, Lily, made him his own "Flat Aaron" for his birthday.
I still find birthdays to be bittersweet. I love that he is growing, that he is all a boy should be at his age! But I am sad at how quickly the time goes, and know that while the days are sometimes long, that the years go by more quickly than I want them to. Aaron is still our sweet boy. He's smart, sensitive, excited by learning. We fully celebrate who he is at six and cherish the moments we have.
3 comments:
love that first picture!
He is an amazing kid. I'm just glad to get to be his neighbor, let alone get to be related to him!! I feel pretty lucky, and I know Sophia does too.
Flat Stanley is a big part of my mom's kindergarten class too. One year he attended the Cattlemen Days Rodeo with our family! Glad to see he recently got to enjoy some aquatic fun.
~Erica
Post a Comment