We started off Monday with X-rays and blood tests for Aaron. All is well, just some physical therapy and he'll be right as rain. Despite his health struggles of late, he continues with soccer practice and games. His team was defeated this week for the first time in a long time. That's always tough for him, but he could console himself with how well he kicked ass on the field.
Tuesday evening we had a game night with some new friends. That's certainly unusual for us as a family to venture beyond the people we are already accustomed to, especially on a week night. It was a good experience. Our kids had a crazy fun time with their two boys. This family has an urban farm of sorts - gardens, chickens, rabbit and fish. My hope is that we didn't overwhelm them with all that is us.
Wednesday, David took off work early to hang out at the local pub to watch the USA vs Honduras soccer game. In the evening after the kids were in bed the neighbors from 801 came over for some hot tea and catching up. I was thrilled to be able to feel Baby Harris kick my hand!
Thursday was a full day that brought another new dimension into our life. I took Henri to the University to have an in-depth speech evaluation. It was three hours long but he was so patient and cooperative. He is diagnosed with Phonological Disorder with Apraxia. The diagnosis is rather serious, but the prognosis is good. With therapy 2 - 4 times per week, he should be mostly understandable by strangers by the time he gets to kindergarten. It's a mental disorder that he will never be without, but will learn to overcome the difficulties. It basically means his brain does not send the correct signal to the muscles in his tongue and mouth to form a particular group of sounds into a word or phrase. At his age, he is quite aware that he can not make the sounds that he wants to make. He is often frustrated and exhibits much hesitancy when in new situations because he already knows that he can't talk in a way that others can understand. Poor baby. Good news is that there is no underlying problem causing the brain disorder. He is healthy, smart and incredibly active - all things that will help him overcome this difficulty he's facing.
Also on Thursday another semester of Recovery Groups kicked off. I'm lucky to be able to co-lead a group with Niki this semester, it's been several years since we've found an opportunity to do that together. I'm already feeling compassion and hope for the women in our group.
On Friday Henri and I spent the day with friends just playing. It was a welcome and comforting break! William had a special studio piano class which he looks forward to every couple of months primarily because there is an abundance of cookies and milk afterward. He continues to love piano and he practices and progresses as he should.
Every Saturday in February we are taking a family parenting class. I don't think I can explain it well, but I'll just say it's an incredible boost for all of us! Basically, we are observing an expert teach our kids about managing emotions - and obviously we are learning along with them. We rounded off Saturday with a soccer game and a fun event for Lee School. Aaron's drumming class performed at the event as well.
Today was spent doing what families do at the end of a busy week - at home! However, we did spend HOURS hand making Valentines with all three boys. It was all their idea. William found some in a magazine that he wanted to make. I prefer to buy the StarWars Valentines in a box where the only "crafting" is ripping them apart at the perforation. But we had a nice time together sitting at the table all day. And eating candy.

One of my favorite things about today? Watching the Grammys with the boys and being somewhat irritated by them asking questions all thru our favorite songs.
Favorite Quote: "Stop talkin' bout my poop!" - Henri (he pooped on the potty all by himself this evening, it doesn't mean he's potty trained, it means he's letting us know that he can, indeed, use the toilette at will and he'll refuse to use it for the next several days)
I write this lengthy and rather dry account so that I will not ever forget.
| Aaron & DVD before their first 5K together in Janurary. |
Wednesday, David took off work early to hang out at the local pub to watch the USA vs Honduras soccer game. In the evening after the kids were in bed the neighbors from 801 came over for some hot tea and catching up. I was thrilled to be able to feel Baby Harris kick my hand!
Thursday was a full day that brought another new dimension into our life. I took Henri to the University to have an in-depth speech evaluation. It was three hours long but he was so patient and cooperative. He is diagnosed with Phonological Disorder with Apraxia. The diagnosis is rather serious, but the prognosis is good. With therapy 2 - 4 times per week, he should be mostly understandable by strangers by the time he gets to kindergarten. It's a mental disorder that he will never be without, but will learn to overcome the difficulties. It basically means his brain does not send the correct signal to the muscles in his tongue and mouth to form a particular group of sounds into a word or phrase. At his age, he is quite aware that he can not make the sounds that he wants to make. He is often frustrated and exhibits much hesitancy when in new situations because he already knows that he can't talk in a way that others can understand. Poor baby. Good news is that there is no underlying problem causing the brain disorder. He is healthy, smart and incredibly active - all things that will help him overcome this difficulty he's facing.
Also on Thursday another semester of Recovery Groups kicked off. I'm lucky to be able to co-lead a group with Niki this semester, it's been several years since we've found an opportunity to do that together. I'm already feeling compassion and hope for the women in our group.
On Friday Henri and I spent the day with friends just playing. It was a welcome and comforting break! William had a special studio piano class which he looks forward to every couple of months primarily because there is an abundance of cookies and milk afterward. He continues to love piano and he practices and progresses as he should.
Every Saturday in February we are taking a family parenting class. I don't think I can explain it well, but I'll just say it's an incredible boost for all of us! Basically, we are observing an expert teach our kids about managing emotions - and obviously we are learning along with them. We rounded off Saturday with a soccer game and a fun event for Lee School. Aaron's drumming class performed at the event as well.
Today was spent doing what families do at the end of a busy week - at home! However, we did spend HOURS hand making Valentines with all three boys. It was all their idea. William found some in a magazine that he wanted to make. I prefer to buy the StarWars Valentines in a box where the only "crafting" is ripping them apart at the perforation. But we had a nice time together sitting at the table all day. And eating candy.
One of my favorite things about today? Watching the Grammys with the boys and being somewhat irritated by them asking questions all thru our favorite songs.
Favorite Quote: "Stop talkin' bout my poop!" - Henri (he pooped on the potty all by himself this evening, it doesn't mean he's potty trained, it means he's letting us know that he can, indeed, use the toilette at will and he'll refuse to use it for the next several days)
I write this lengthy and rather dry account so that I will not ever forget.

No comments:
Post a Comment