Thursday, January 31, 2008

Painful Leave-Takings and Bold New Beginnings


Kim, Dana, Piet, me, Linda, Bill, David

These are some of the the people that I will miss the most.


This is the team I have worked most closely with over the past year. Several of these people I have worked with for well over ten years. Much happens in ten years of ministry to create bonds of true community. My mind races through the more memorable scenes, though I want to stop and cherish them like the pages of my favorite book. I think of the times we stood by each other in grief, laughed at each other uncontrollably, fought each other passionately, and worked side-by-side tiressly - all for a God and a journey that we have given our lives to pursue.

This team honored me on my last day by knowing me well enough to show me love and appreciation in the way I feel it best: authentic conversation around food, affirming words and meaningful gifts. We spent the entire day together at Kim's house. I walked in to find a hot breakfast cassarole just coming out of the oven. We sat around a table with several cups of hot coffee and just caught up with each other for a long and comfortable while. We later retired to the livingroom for more of the same, then on to the dining room for a delicious and carefully prepared lunch. After lunch they each took the time to share prepared expressions of love and appreciation for me and my work.

It was our work and shared vision and values that brought us together, but a genuine knowing and caring for each other that created the environment that made this last year (and my last day) on the job so meaningful.

So, thanks Team, for allowing me to grow and learn with you, for putting me in a position that maximized our gifts and skills, for knowing and being known, for loving and laughing instead of hiding and judging, for recognizing my superior status as the boss's favorite and for affirming my reasons for transitioning back home.

I will miss the work that we do so well together. May God continue to bless our efforts to take another step forward on the journey.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing--you are indeed special and will be missed, I am sure. So what's next on the agenda then??

Conspiracy Theologian said...

When I look at that photo of our team, I am captured by one particular thought...









I am one handsome son-of-bitch.

Peace out,

B

DVD said...

Even though they are church people, if they like you that much they can't be all bad, eh? I kid!

I am grateful for their efforts to help you feel appreciated, and healthy of you to accept. Seems rare we admit our deep need to be appreciated and even rarer that need gets met. Huzzah for you all!

EE said...

I'm not used to seeing pictures of Bill, the handsome SOB, without his gas mask;)
Thanks for your service to the church. I'm sure you will be missed!!