Thursday, January 24, 2008

Henri Speaks


I am entering my last week of work (or shall I say "employment outside of the home that I actually get paid for"). Not having much time to ponder or decipher the craziness inside my head this month, I have decided to take the lead from SNL's Mary Katherine and share a quote that most accurately captures my thoughts about it.

"For as long as you can remember, you have been a pleaser, depending on others to give you an identity. You need not look at that only in a negative way. You wanted to give your heart to others, and you did so quickly and easily. But now you are being asked to let go of all these self-made props and trust that God is enough for you. You must stop being a pleaser and reclaim your identity as a free self."
Henri J.M. Nouwen

3 comments:

LaurieJo said...

Wow, Casey. Thanks for trying to reclaim your true self. I look forward to more of her company. :)

Unknown said...

wow--that sounds deep for me--I applaud you in the quest. Self-discovery is always good. About your heart--it is a good heart--just remember that :-)

Conspiracy Theologian said...

Who is this Henri that you speak of? I may have to read more of his stuff.

Peace out,

CT