Monday, December 3, 2007

His Hair, His Choice

Relinquishing control is a painful process, especially when it comes to my babies no longer being babies.

Having obviously thought out his request, Aaron rounds the corner into my bathroom this morning, "Mama, I would like to be a boy with short hair. Can we go to the hair-cut store after preschool?" Words elude me as I gaze at his long locks of harvest wheat hair,

so he continues, "Some boys have long hair, but mostly girls have long hair, I don't want to look like Sophia anymore." Pause. I have flashbacks of his long, wispy, curly sweet-baby hair.


"Sometimes boys are handsome and sometimes they are pretty, but mostly girls are pretty. Faith has long hair, Josiah has short hair." While tears lie hidden behind my eyes, I say, "Well, you are handsome AND pretty with your long hair, are you SURE you want to be a boy with short hair?" His head bobs a confident "yes". "Well, Aaron, it is your choice, you can be a boy with short hair. Maybe someday you will want to be a boy with long hair again." He picks up that I need reassurance, "Maybe someday when I am big." It is settled. Aaron sweetly adds, "Mama, would you like to get a bagel after I get my hair cut?" William chimes in from his spot on the toilet, "I want to be a boy with short hair AND have a bagel!" William will do anything for a bagel. I decide that William will not have short hair, at least not yet, but Aaron has made his choice and I will celebrate it!

2 comments:

LaurieJo said...

What a sweet and confident boy! I do love his short hair, although the long hair was beautiful. Maybe when he's big...

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, I love blogs. So glad you're joining in!!! Tell Aaron he looks fabulously handsome with his new haircut. My Aaron had longer hair and loved it until grandpa told him he looked like a girl. That was the end of that--off to the barber the next day! I know what you mean though, I thought he looked great either way.