Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving Break

Since Aaron was born seven years ago, we have enjoyed staying in Columbia for Thanksgiving (rather than making the drive to visit extended family). Every once in a while we'll make the trip up to Granny's farm for Thanksgiving Day, but mostly we just stay at home. This year's Thanksgiving was perhaps our most enjoyable at home yet!

 


We stayed in our PJ's and watched the Macy's Parade before meeting some friends at Cracker Barrel for a late lunch. As usual, The Crack did not disappoint. We then spent the rest of the day at home watching football and looking thru the Black Friday adds.

The Thanksgiving Meal evidently didn't agree much with Henri, so we were up quite a bit of the night, but it didn't stop me from getting out early to do some shopping. I have fond memories from childhood of after-Thanksgiving shopping marathons with my Aunt Janet. One of my favorite things about those days was eating Chinese for lunch, and getting a cold Coke in the afternoon when we were totally exhausted and parched (I guess I didn't get either of those things on a regular basis at home). I would save up my money so I could get all my Christmas shopping done on that day. Poor Aunt Janet had to suffer thru my slow decision making abilities as I would debate on which pair of red socks to buy for Dad... When I look back on it now, I realize how gracious and patient she was!

So, today I was up at 5am and after feeding Henri I hit the stores. I came home to eat breakfast while David went out for a while. We took turns going out to different stores all morning and are now almost completely finished with Christmas shopping. I'm relieved to have it mostly done this early.

We are looking forward to another few days at home. We'll decorate our tree, spend time with friends and of course watch more football - the highlight being the MUvsKU game on Saturday.

Of course, we are feeling incredibly grateful this Thanksgiving season for all that is our life right now, especially for what baby Henri brings to our family.

 

3 comments:

LaurieJo said...

A lot to give thanks for! Happy Thanksgiving (break) from one side of the street to the other...

Carrie Roark said...

Sounds like a nice holiday. We ate at "Crapper Barrel" (as Lakota inadvertently called it) on Thanksgiving too. Since she requested to bring a PB&J sammy, she didn't mind the 45 minute wait. She just ate while she shopped.

Cindy Shearrer said...

Just now read this - loved hearing your story. Henri looks just precious Casey.